Skip to main content

The legendary yoruba Faleti is Gone(Dead)

Adebayo Faleti (26 December 1921 – 23 July 2017) was a Nigerian poet, journalist, writer and actor. He was also known as a Yoruba translator, a broadcaster, TV exponent and a pioneer of the first television station in Africa, Western Nigeria Television (WNTV). He was responsible for translating Nigeria's National Anthem from English to Yoruba. He also translated speeches being made by military president of Nigeria Ibrahim Babangida and Chief Ernest Shonekan, Head of National Interim Government of Nigeria, from English to Yoruba. Faleti published a dictionary containing the formal or official use of Yoruba names. He received many awards, both locally and internationally, including the national honour of Officer of the Order of the Niger (OON) the Festival of Arts award with Eda Ko L’aropin (1995) and the Afro-Hollywood Award for Outstanding Performance in Arts (2002)

The renowned custodian of Yoruba culture and foremost playwright, Chief Adebayo Faleti is dead. He died at the age of 86. According to his son, Adeniyi Faleti, the poet and veteran actor, who translated the National Anthem into Yoruba died in his residence yesterday. Adebayo Faleti: passes on at 86 As if he had premonition of his death, the deceased who featured in films like Saworo Ide, Bashorun Gaa, Efunsetan Aniwura and many more prayed to God some moments before he died that God should send someone to continue his sojourn in this life.

This was disclosed by Adeniyi. He said, “After the morning devotion, I helped him to the bathroom where he said he wanted God to send someone else to come and complete his work because he had done all he could do. He also said that he wanted to go home” After saying this, Adeniyi said; “I noticed that he was not breathing again. We took him to the University College Hospital, Ibadan where he was confirmed dead.” Adebayo Faleti, a veteran broadcaster, before his death, had always been at the forefront of those Yoruba elders who warned that Yoruba language should not be allowed to go into extinction.

 Also speaking on the demise of his father, Mr Ayoola Faleti said; “In his usual attitude, he called me three days ago and we discussed like father and son. ”When I received a call this morning from my brother, I rushed home to see him but I did not see him. He died before I could reach home.” His wife of 50 years, Moteniola also described late Faleti as a man of virtues. She said; “I knew him as a loving husband and I will always remember how well he catered for the family. He prepared the children for a good future by ensuring that they got good education,” said Moteniola.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DONE DEAL!!! Neymar complete heartfelt transfer to PSG

Neymar has become the most expensive player in soccer history after completing his blockbuster transfer to Paris Saint-Germain from Barcelona on Thursday for $262 million. PSG triggered the release clause in the forward’s Barcelona contract, which was more than double the previous transfer record set a year ago when Manchester United paid $116 million for Paul Pogba. PSG said in a statement that the 25-year-old Neymar had signed a five-year contract, until June 2022. PSG said “his arrival into the Paris Saint-Germain family emphasizes more than ever the club’s aims to rise to the top of world football.” Barcelona did all it could to stop Neymar from leaving and had vowed to complain to the UEFA, European soccer’s ruling body, if his seemingly untouchable release clause was triggered. The payment of the clause directly to the club was the second attempt Neymar’s representatives had made on Thursday to break his bond with Barcelona. Earlier in the day, his lawyer, Juan...

Music connected me with former President Olusegun Obasanjo- Ibitayo Jeje

Call her the female version of the legendary Juju crooner, Ebenezer Obey Fabiyi and you wouldn’t be wrong. She is a devoted purveyor of culture. With her one-of-a kind voice, many couldn’t imagine where highlife music would be without Ibitayo Jeje. What many don’t know is that the gospel highlife diva got her start in a church choir. The singer, entrepreneur and author looks back at various moments of her life, marriage, music and relationship with ex-President Olusegun Obasanjo in this interview with Adedayo Adejobi How did you discover that you are a musician? I didn’t just discover that aspect of me by myself. Before I started singing highlife music, I used to do a bit of everything from Hip-hop, R&B and reggae in my subsequent albums. Someone heard one of my songs in the old album and asked if I had tried singing highlife music. Because I appreciate culture, I got interested and started researching and went back to the studio. One of the songs that I had record...

[GOSPEL] Lara George Gears Up For Concert In Houston Texas.

Multi-award winning Gospel artiste, Lara George is set to enthrall listeners and enrapture worshippers as she sets out on her tour of the USA. Join her in her first ever solo musical concert as she celebrates the release of a brand new 15-track album - her fifth solo studio work- titled 'A Slice of Heaven.' With other hit, classic tracks like 'Ijoba Orun,' 'Kolebaje,' 'Halleluyah,' 'Komasi' and 'Dansaki,' join her live in concert at the Dominion Chapel Stafford Texas Venue, for an explosion of praise, dance, worship and immersion in music that enables the deepest possible form of connection with our Maker. All ages are welcome at this event, but 'Child' tickets are limited, so hurry and get all your tickets now with special rebates for early birds. VIP ticket-holders will get free copies of the album, as well as posters in their goodie-bags, so go ahead and splurge on these tickets. We know that there are some of ...