Skip to main content

Do we need churches in our college and universities? Luke speak on this

Luke Lezon (@lukelezon) is a pastor, speaker, writer and member of the leadership team at The Alternative (thealternative.org), a gathering that unites local churches and communities for a night of worship in the Atlanta area.



I remember walking into Reed Arena on the campus of Texas A&M in College Station. Thousands of students filed in, many raced to seats closest to the bottom, I pulled my hat down, and walked towards the nosebleeds. Tuesday nights meant Breakaway, a Bible Study that often times filled the basketball arena more than actual basketball games did. This week in particular had been difficult for me, I had a lot on my mind. I just wanted to worship alone. When I got to the top I saw a young man, tears streaming down his face. I asked him what was wrong, and he said, “I didn’t want to believe what all of these people believe, but how can they all worship something so passionately that they cannot feel? That doesn’t love them back the way they love? I walked in here to make fun of it all, but I feel like God has extended to His love to me tonight, and He has invited me into His story.”

In the upcoming film, GOD’S NOT DEAD: A LIGHT IN DARKNESS, the local church is attacked and nearly burned to the ground. But no sooner than the fire is out the university, on which the church grounds sit, uses the controversy to try and force the church off-campus. As you can imagine, this sparks a conflict unlike any the university has never seen before. It also opens the door to some interesting questions, like, “Why should churches be a part of college and university campuses?” My answer is simple. Because in a culture that loves the idea of self-discovery, what better time to help students discover who they are than when they are trying to discover their purpose in life? What better place to help individuals discover what they were made to be and do than the church? College students are living in their most formative years. It’s a time where they are learning, growing, transitioning from adolescence into adulthood. They are growing up, and it comes with challenges.

I met people at churches through Breakaway that weren’t even professing Christians, but they told me that the sermons were helping them feel more equipped to handle the stress and pressures of college life than anything else. The church doesn’t just have solutions to student’s problems, it has the Answer Who walks with them into their classrooms and challenges. If the church isn’t on college campuses, then the church is missing the opportunity to pass the baton of faith to the next generation. Part of running your race well is handing off the baton. We aren’t running a sprint, it’s a relay, and the message we pass on brings hope to the world. Let’s not only educate but edify.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DONE DEAL!!! Neymar complete heartfelt transfer to PSG

Neymar has become the most expensive player in soccer history after completing his blockbuster transfer to Paris Saint-Germain from Barcelona on Thursday for $262 million. PSG triggered the release clause in the forward’s Barcelona contract, which was more than double the previous transfer record set a year ago when Manchester United paid $116 million for Paul Pogba. PSG said in a statement that the 25-year-old Neymar had signed a five-year contract, until June 2022. PSG said “his arrival into the Paris Saint-Germain family emphasizes more than ever the club’s aims to rise to the top of world football.” Barcelona did all it could to stop Neymar from leaving and had vowed to complain to the UEFA, European soccer’s ruling body, if his seemingly untouchable release clause was triggered. The payment of the clause directly to the club was the second attempt Neymar’s representatives had made on Thursday to break his bond with Barcelona. Earlier in the day, his lawyer, Juan...

Music connected me with former President Olusegun Obasanjo- Ibitayo Jeje

Call her the female version of the legendary Juju crooner, Ebenezer Obey Fabiyi and you wouldn’t be wrong. She is a devoted purveyor of culture. With her one-of-a kind voice, many couldn’t imagine where highlife music would be without Ibitayo Jeje. What many don’t know is that the gospel highlife diva got her start in a church choir. The singer, entrepreneur and author looks back at various moments of her life, marriage, music and relationship with ex-President Olusegun Obasanjo in this interview with Adedayo Adejobi How did you discover that you are a musician? I didn’t just discover that aspect of me by myself. Before I started singing highlife music, I used to do a bit of everything from Hip-hop, R&B and reggae in my subsequent albums. Someone heard one of my songs in the old album and asked if I had tried singing highlife music. Because I appreciate culture, I got interested and started researching and went back to the studio. One of the songs that I had record...

[GOSPEL] Lara George Gears Up For Concert In Houston Texas.

Multi-award winning Gospel artiste, Lara George is set to enthrall listeners and enrapture worshippers as she sets out on her tour of the USA. Join her in her first ever solo musical concert as she celebrates the release of a brand new 15-track album - her fifth solo studio work- titled 'A Slice of Heaven.' With other hit, classic tracks like 'Ijoba Orun,' 'Kolebaje,' 'Halleluyah,' 'Komasi' and 'Dansaki,' join her live in concert at the Dominion Chapel Stafford Texas Venue, for an explosion of praise, dance, worship and immersion in music that enables the deepest possible form of connection with our Maker. All ages are welcome at this event, but 'Child' tickets are limited, so hurry and get all your tickets now with special rebates for early birds. VIP ticket-holders will get free copies of the album, as well as posters in their goodie-bags, so go ahead and splurge on these tickets. We know that there are some of ...